Written by Contributing Editor Cathy Gehr (Health Researcher and Nutrition Adviser)
Maria Sharapova made her professional breakthrough in 2004 at age 17, and the 25 year old Russian tennis star is still making tennis history, both on and off the court. Although at present the former world No. 1 in women’s tennis, she is still No. 1 in many tennis fans’ hearts, including mine. These 10 Top Tips from Maria Sharapova: Tennis Diet and Workout Plan show that even us tennis “mortals” can mirror some of her tennis strategies.
1. Practice: Even Grand slam champion Maria Sharapova has admitted that at times she doesn’t feel like having tennis practice, but because she knows that preparation is key to tennis success, she has regular practice 6 days a week. In an interview, the No. 2 in WTA ranking said, “I love to compete a lot, and the practice always helps obviously. It’s not necessarily my favorite thing and putting in the hours, but it’s one of the most important things to getting where I want to be.”
2. Diversity: Maria Sharapova’s coach encourages the women’s tennis star to participate in a diversity of physical activities ranging from pilates classes, yoga workouts, mountain biking, running and even salsa dancing. Since appointed as a United National Development Program Goodwill Ambassador in 2007, Maria Sharapova actively promotes and has personally financed sports and physical education for youth affected by the 1986 nuclear disaster at Chernobyl.
Relaxation Part of the 10 Top Tips from Maria Sharapova: Tennis Diet and Workout Plan
3. Relaxation: With intense practice sessions, grueling tournaments, hectic travel schedules, modelling assignments for Nike, Cole Haan and others, relaxation is a definite must for this Russian tennis beauty. Maria Sharapova pampers herself with spa and massage treatments, as well as simply lounging around or going out with friends. These and other de-stressing moments are vital for her physical, mental and emotional well-being.
4. Positivity: Focusing on what’s positive, being around positive people, and surrounding herself with positive input definitely helps keep the 25 year old tennis great in top form.
5. Protection: Not only does Maria guard herself from negative mental influences, the Russian grand slam champion vigilantly protects herself from the harsh UV rays. Sharapova personally selects skincare and sunscreen products that help her skin stay young and healthy.
6. Diet: The Djokovic gluten free diet is a far cry from the Maria Sharapova tennis diet. Her diet incorporates carbohydrates, proteins, fruits and vegetables in the form of three balanced meals a day, with snacks in between of whatever she may be craving. Her diet must be working for her to be featured in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue!
Hot Maria Sharapova: Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Photo Shoot
7. Goals: On the subject of how does she stay motivated, Sharapova said, “I just feel that I have so many more years ahead of me. I feel young, and I feel that every single day I can improve something in my game that can ultimately make me a champion.”
8. Realistic: Will the former world No. 1 in women’s tennis become No. 1 again? Her philosophical and psychological training has prepared her to be realistic to the fact that she cannot win every game. However, Sharapova has stated, “At the end of the day, it’s the competition that really drives me, it’s what I want.”
9. Humility: This one ties in with Positivity in that when this Russian tennis star wins, she doesn’t gloat over her opponent, criticize their game, or brag about her own skills. She continually offers encouragement and respect to her fellow competitors, remaining humble in both victory and defeat.
10. Control: This one wraps up the 10 Top Tips from Maria Sharapova Tennis Diet and Workout Plan. To follow through on all the other tips, Maria has the willpower to know when to say yes and no in all her daily decisions which puts her in control of her life and her career. After holding up a grand slam trophy, Maria was heard to say, “I look back at all the work that I’ve put into it, and I realize that it took me so long to get there, but it’s so worth it.”
Please click the Like button below to share with your Facebook friends. I would love to hear your comments and feedback too.